Tuesday 7 June 2016

Evening with a Whale!

Before coming south I had never seen whales before and a sighting of humpbacks from the ship totally smashed that with some amazing views. But since then sightings have been much rarer and more like you would expect, stood on a high point of Bird Island with just distant views of a whale or two poking above the water. I never thought I would get a better view of any whales than I did of the humpbacks from the ship and I certainly never expected to see any so close again whilst on land!...

....until last night that was! Whilst getting dinner ready I heard a call on the radio from James, he had seen a whale just offshore. Jerry, Ian and I all rushed out and got to the rocks at the mouth of the bay just outside base. We certainly weren't disappointed! There in front of us, at times as little as 15-20 metres away was a stunning sight - a Southern Right Whale feeding!!! This little island gets more amazing every day!
As close to a whale as I am ever likely to get on land!
The usual view is just of a back
But we got some amazing views of its head as well!
Absolutely stunning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment